The nice people at MONIN recently sent me a sample of their new limited edition Chocolate Cookie Syrup to try. Having used various MONIN syrups in my recipes before, I was excited to try it.
The problem I had was what to recipe to try? Should I make a cake, a coffee, a milkshake or a cocktail? Well the Chocolate Cookie Syrup can be used in all of these so I just went for it and made one of each!
While I decided what recipes to try, I made myself a coffee and poured in a good glug of syrup and gave it a stir - delicious - I was off to a good start! Next, I made myself a Chocolate Cookie milkshake. I poured out a small glass of milk then added about a tablespoon of Chocolate Cookie syrup. Using a small whisk I beat the milk and syrup until it was nice and frothy. Again, the drink was delicious and really refreshing, my son also approved!
I was keen to try the syrup in a cake recipe and as I've had success with a mug cake recipe using MONIN syrup before I thought I'd go for that. Here's what I came up with -
Ingredients2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium egg
2 tbsp MONIN Chocolate Cookie syrup
3 tbsp caster sugar
4 tbsp self-raising flour
2 tbsp chocolate chips
Method- In a 350ml mug, melt the butter in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds
- Once melted, add the cocoa and mix with a fork until well combined
- Add the egg, Chocolate Cookie Syrup and sugar to the mug and beat well until thoroughly mixed
- Add the flour and beat again until you have a smooth mixture
- Finally, add the chocolate chips and mix in
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes 10seconds (600W), 1 minute 50 seconds (800W) or 1 minute 30 seconds (1000W)
- Remove from the microwave and leave to cool
- Serve on it's own or for a really indulgent treat pour over some fresh cream or add a generous dollop of vanilla ice cream
MONIN Chocolate Cookie Syrup is available from Sainsbury’s on a limited edition basis