Low fat fluffy scones with Streamline Jam




















I've been trying to eat healthily recently but with my love of cake and all things sweet it isn't very easy. I've been eating more salads and more fruit and vegetables but still have sweet cravings which I always give in to!

I was recently sent some Streamline Jams to try and as I do love jam on my toast in the morning I was interested to see what they were like. In case you haven't already seen them, Streamline Jams are a range of jams and marmalades which contain 30% less sugar and 40% more fruit than other jams so you can enjoy less sugar but have an extra fruity treat!

I really enjoyed the jams and I honestly wouldn't know there was less sugar in them, I thought they were really tasty and very fruity. I think the texture of the strawberry jam was slightly different (not in a bad way) but that was the only thing I could see that was different to other jams.

Sampling the Streamline Jams made me think about trying them with a low fat recipe so I can have a sweet treat but feel less guilty about the calories. So, here's a recipe for low fat scones, I used fat free Greek yogurt but I only had full fat butter in the fridge, however, you could try this recipe with low fat spread for even less calories.

Ingredients

350g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
85g cold butter, cut into cubes
4 tbsp golden caster sugar
150g fat-free greek yogurt
4 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk, to glaze

Method

- Put a baking sheet/tray in the oven at 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Put the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl then mix with an electric mixer until the butter disappears. Alternatively you can do this in a food processor or the old fashioned way with your fingers!
- Add the sugar to the bowl and mix in well
- Tip into a large bowl then make a well in the middle
- Put the yogurt, milk and vanilla together in a jug and heat in the microwave for 1 min or alternatively heat in a pan. The mixture should be hot and might go a bit lumpy-looking
- Tip into the well you made earlier and quickly work into the flour mix using a cutlery knife. As soon as it’s all in, stop
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface. Then, with floured hands, fold the dough over a few times – just enough to create a smoothish dough
- Press out to about 4cm/1½in thick, dip a 7cm cutter into more flour, then cut out 4 rounds, flouring the cutter each time. Squash the remainder lightly together, then repeat until the dough is used up
- Brush the tops with egg wash, scatter flour over the hot sheet, then lift the scones on. Bake for 12 mins until risen and golden. Best eaten just-warm, or on the day.
- Serve with Streamline Jam for a low fat and low sugar treat.

Tip

- Add 85g sultanas or chopped glacé cherries in with the sugar for a fruitier scone














If you'd like to try Streamline Jam there is a whole range of flavours including: strawberry, blackcurrant, apricot, black cherry, seedless raspberry, thin cut orange, thick cut orange and diced cut orange. They are available in Tesco, Ocado, Asda and Morrisons with a RRP of £1.45 for a 340g jar. They have also just won the condiments category in the 2016 Healthy Food Guide Awards!











Disclaimer: I was sent Streamline Jams review but all opinions are my own. 
I adapted this recipe from a scone recipe I found on one of my favourite food websites - see the original recipe here bbcgoodfood.com

Comments

Popular Posts