Lemon Drizzle Mug Cake




I am very happy to have written my first ever guest post as a blogger and especially pleased to have been asked by cake-cetera.co.uk who have some great recipes and tips for bakers at every level. Take a look at their website for some baking inspiration and tips.
My post for the cake-cetera.co.uk blog was my recipe for Lemon Drizzle Mug Cake. I am a huge fan of mug cakes, they are so simple and quick to do you can have an instant cake in minutes and everything is mixed and baked in the mug so no mess! If I'm ever craving cake and can't be bothered baking a big cake (which means getting my mixer and cake tins out and having to wash them all after!), I can mix and bake a mug cake in minutes and have instant cake - every cake lover's dream!
This is the first ever recipe that I've developed myself so I'd love your feedback, my husband and kids are my number one cake testers and it was a big hit with them so I must have done something right!
Although mug cakes are usually served in the mug they are baked in (even less washing up) this cake is turned out onto a plate so the crunchy lemon topping can be poured all over it and it runs down the sides and soaks into the cake. The sugar sits on top of the cake to give a lovely crunch when you bite into it - perfect!

Ingredients

2 tbsp soft butter
1 medium egg
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp caster sugar
4 tbsp self raising flour
zest of 1 lemon

Crunchy Topping:

2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon

Method

- Put the butter in a mug or small bowl and heat in a microwave until the butter is melted, about 20-30 seconds should be long enough
- Add the egg, lemon juice and vanilla essence and beat well with a fork until everything is well mixed together
- Add the sugar, flour and lemon zest to the mixture and beat until you have a smooth consistency
- Grease a large mug (or line with cling film) and pour in the batter
- Microwave for 2 minutes (600W), 1 minute 45 seconds (800W) or 1 minute 30 seconds (1000W)
- Turn out onto a serving plate to cool (remove cling film if you have used it)
- Mix together the sugar and lemon juice in a bowl then while the cake is still warm (but not hot), pour the topping all over the upside down cake. The lemon juice will soak through the cake and the sugar will sit on top

If you fancy having a go at Mug Cakes then you could also have a look at my Rocky Road and Chocolate Mug Cake recipes. They're really fun to make and easy to get your kids involved, what child (or grown up) wouldn't want to make their own individual cake in a mug?

Comments

  1. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. Thank you so much. wedding cakes little rock ar

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts